WHMIS – 2015
Every worker who works with, or in proximity to, a hazardous product in the workplace must have Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) training. In February 2015, WHMIS was modified to align with the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS). The "new" WHMIS is known as WHMIS 2015
WHMIS 2015 Online is based on the current 2015 legislation and meets the legislated requirement for general WHMIS training. Employers must also provide workplace-specific training and instruction for each hazardous products in the workplace.
Upon completion of WHMIS 2015, participants will be able to:
- Understand the essential role WHMIS plays in protecting the health and safety of Canadian workers
- Identify the WHMIS responsibilities of suppliers, employers, and workers
- Know the workplace requirements related to the use of supplier labels and workplace labels, and how to locate and interpret the information found on these labels
- Recognize the WHMIS pictograms and the types of hazard each represents
- Recognize the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) as a source of comprehensive information about a hazardous chemical in the workplace and know how to locate various types of information when reading the SDS
- Identify the WHMIS exemptions for suppliers and importers
- Know general safe work practices that should be followed when working with hazardous products
- WHMIS Online is an active learning experience, using interactive content screens and online exercises to engage learners and reinforce key concepts. Mandatory testing ensures that participants have met learning objectives and retained the required knowledge
No participant can complete the course without verifying their understanding of the course material. WHMIS Online is present in 6 modules. To progress from one module to the next, participants must pass a mandatory test. Those who do not pass the test must review the module content and re-test. There is no limit to the number of re-tests. Test questions are randomly selected from a test bank to ensure that re-tests will be unique.
WHMIS Online is self-paced. Participants may leave the course at any time and can resume where they left off. The time required to complete the course will depend on many factors including the participant's learning style and their prior knowledge of the course material. Most participants will complete WHMIS Online in less than 2 hours.
Upon successfully completing all modules, there is a printable certificate for your records
Each workplace is unique. Employers must supplement this training with workplace specific training to ensure that workers are aware of and understand the hazards associated with the controlled products that they use and know how to work safety with those products.